SERVING THE COMMUNITY
Pyrford’s War Memorial Hall was the community’s tribute to all those from the village who had lost their lives during the Great War.
It was the brainchild of the Reverend Cuthbert Hamilton, rector of Wisley and Vicar of Pyrford from 1913 to 1948.
He was also responsible for the revival of the Cricket Club and, later, the Social Club.
Before the Hall’s opening in October 1922, social facilities in the village were limited.
Since its foundation, the Hall has served a wide variety of community clubs and activities and has provided spacious premises – complete with sprung floor – for dances and parties.
Before the dedication of the Church of the Good Shepherd in 1966, it was used for services when St Nicholas had proved just too small for the burgeoning post-war population. Woking Borough Council, the Police and other authorities have been grateful patrons; in a civil emergency, the Hall would provide succour for those in distress.
The Hall is for the use of the community as a whole.
And it is always ready to welcome fresh volunteers to participate in its management.
Those who paid the supreme sacrifice deserve no less.
Mr Anthony Paice has written a short book on the history of Pyrford War Memorial between the years of 1921 and 2001.
The book details the conception of the Hall following the demise of the old Pyrford Parish Room in 1914.
Also by the same author is a booked titled The Professional Beggar which details the life of the man who made the Pyrford Community, the Reverend Cuthbert Arthur Hamilton
If you are interested in either of the above books please email: firstname.lastname@example.org